Location: Central London – flexible working options are available
Salary: Circa £50,000 per annum
Contract Type: Permanent
Position Type: Full Time (35 hours per week)
Closing date: Monday 26 October 2020
Our charity exists because we believe it is wrong for girls and women to be denied the joy, fulfilment and lifelong benefits of sport. And yet still so many are, even here in the UK. Gender stereotypes, concerns about body image, limited opportunities and social norms at home mean that at every life stage, women are still less active than men and less likely to play sport. Too many women and girls are missing out on feeling happy and confident in their bodies, on the companionship, exhilaration and liberation of simply playing and forgetting day-to-day stresses. Women from disadvantaged communities and women of colour are missing out most of all.
Women in Sport is determined to change this and is looking for a dynamic senior manager to help lead our work with the sports and social sectors and government to achieve real and lasting change through inspiration, influence and expertise. We need someone passionate about improving the lives of girls and women at every stage in life. We need someone who shares our beliefs, understands our vision and is able to bring real credibility to our cause.
Women in Sport is the longest established charity in this space and it is at an exciting point in its development. Under new leadership at a time of global crisis which is highlighting the scale of inequality in our society, breaking down the barriers to change has never been more possible and vital.
As our Head of Policy, Partnership and Public Affairs you will report to the CEO and work closely with her and the wider team. You will have an outward looking role, focused on building external relationships and inspiring and influencing key decision-makers. You will establish strong relations with key allies, lead our commissioned services to the sector, develop policy, and advocate change to address the inequalities women and girls face in relation to sport.
Women in Sport values the quality and diversity of thought possible from a team made up of individuals from a broad range of backgrounds, who can each bring their different experiences and perspectives. For this reason, we encourage applications from men as well as women and would particularly welcome applications from people of colour and a wide variety of ethnic or minority backgrounds, sexual orientation, religion, age and impairment. We are committed to a working culture where everyone can be authentic and true to themselves – a culture of belonging for everyone, where diversity is valued for the richness it brings to all aspects of our work, to our quality of thought leadership and to our interactions with all people.
Main responsibilities are:
- Develop policy and practice for gender equity in sport
- Lead on Women in Sport’s strategic partnerships and commissioned work portfolio
- Build our advocacy and coalition work
- Identify and, where relevant, pilot solutions that better include girls and women in sport
- Provide leadership for the charity and line management support for relevant team members
What we’re looking for from you:
- Knowledge of the sports sector, ideally gained by being part of the system, working within a national governing body, relevant part of government or sport for development sector.
- Understanding of the headline political, cultural and social determinants of gender equality as this affects women and girls from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Knowledge of how private sector businesses, government agencies and charities operate, and what makes for good business, effective impact reporting and value for money.
- A passionate belief in the ability of sport to transform lives and the need to address the current inequalities in access to the joy, fulfilment and lifelong benefits of sport.
- A passion for diversity and an understanding of the strength diversity contributes to an organisation
- An optimistic and authentic leader and an empowering manager able to get the best out of people.
Please see the job description here for a full list of responsibilities and the criteria required for this role.
What we can offer you:
- Annual leave: 25 days, plus Bank Holidays
- Pension: An auto enrollment pension, with matched contributions starting at 3% of your salary
- Flexibility: We have a range of options for flexible working and we’d be happy to discuss your needs at the interview stage
- Annual Healthy Living Allowance of £250
Come and be part of our small but ground-breaking charity, in the high profile and fast-moving arena of women’s sport with plenty of scope to make your mark on the cause!