Salary: Up to £30,000 per annum
Contract Type: Permanent – flexible working options are available
Position Type: Full Time
Closing date: Tuesday 06 April 2021
Are you passionate about gender equality?
Do you recognise the value of sport to personal development and society?
Do you want your work to make a difference?
We are looking for a dynamic policy and public affairs executive to develop our insight into the political landscape around women in sport; and ensure we can influence this.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to work in our small ground-breaking charity, in the high profile and fast-moving arena of women’s sport with plenty of scope to make your mark on the cause. You can help to ensure women and girls can break out of stereotypes and engage in sport and exercise for its joy as well as its health benefits.
This is a key new role that will support the Head of Policy, Partnerships and Public Affairs in the development of policy and strategic projects. The post-holder will be responsible for monitoring political activity, understanding the policies and needs of the sports sector and building relationships with key stakeholders. You’ll be helping to advocate our policies and proposals to government and other key decision makers inside and outside sport.
Our charity exists because we believe it is wrong for girls and women to be denied the joy, fulfilment and lifelong benefits of sport. And yet still so many are, even here in the UK. Gender stereotypes, concerns about body image, discrimination in the workplace and social norms at home mean that at every life stage, women are still less active than men and less likely to play sport. Too many women and girls are missing out on feeling happy and confident in their bodies, on the companionship, exhilaration and liberation of simply playing and forgetting day-to-day stresses. Women from disadvantaged communities and women of colour are missing out most of all.
Women in Sport highly values the quality and diversity of thought that is only possible from a team made up of individuals from broad range of backgrounds, who can each bring their different experiences and perspectives. For this reason, we encourage applications from men as well as women and would particularly welcome applications from people of colour and a wide variety of ethnic or minority backgrounds, sexual orientation, religion, age or impairment.
Women in Sport is committed to a working culture where everyone can be authentic and true to themselves. We strive to represent the full diversity of the communities we serve.
Main responsibilities are:
- Collate and summarise press coverage of topical issues and prepare briefings for the senior management team.
- Build the charity’s understanding of wider developments in the gender equality field both within and beyond sport.
- Identify issues where policy requires input from new insights and research work and support scoping and bids for investment in such work.
- Identify key contacts and influencers in the sport sector and government and support the Head of Policy, Partnerships and Public Affairs in developing these networks and relationships.
- Maintain databases of these key contacts and ensure we have productive channels of communication.
What we’re looking for from you
- Some knowledge of key areas of government policy most relevant to our mission: sport, health, education and health.
- Some experience in the sport, health or social sectors which has involved influencing external agencies or government.
- A persuasive communicator, well organised and used to thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Capacity to summarise complex briefs and arguments, synthesise debates and provide quick overviews of discussion.
What we can offer you:
- Annual leave: 25 days, plus Bank Holidays.
- Pension: Women in Sport operates an auto enrolment pension, with matched contributions starting at 3% of salary.
- Flexibility: We have a range of options for flexible working and we’d be happy to discuss your needs at the interview stage.
- Annual Healthy Living Allowance of £250.
Closing date: 6 April 2021 (midnight)
Long List Phone Calls: w/c 12th April 2021
Main Interviews: w/c 19th April 2021
APPLY NOW: Click here to apply for the role.